Do you need essay writing help?
Many students worry about their essay writing skills, but you can improve your writing for the essay part of the test.
Our essay writing guide teaches you everything you need to know in order to succeed with your essay.
Did you know that your essay is scored by a software program? That’s right, a teacher or administrator won’t read what you have written.
This creates special challenges for students since computer scoring is very different than human scoring.
Since your essay is scored automatically by the computer immediately after you submit it, our book tells you what the software looks for as it moves through your writing.
Our publication also tells you how to compose your essay in order to raise your score.
Our Essay Writing Guide
Our Accuplacer essay writing guide is entitled Writeplacer Success, and it is available in both PDF download and paperback form.
If you want essay writing help, please visit the Writeplacer page.
Our essay guide has chapters on all aspects of essay writing, such as:
- explaining good essay structure
- illustrating how to create effective thesis statements and topic sentences
- writing the introduction, main body and conclusion
- providing elaboration and examples to support your thesis
- using linking works and subordination to build sentences
- using correct grammar and punctuation
- writing with high-level vocabulary
Writeplacer Success will help you get the best result possible on your essay writing on the day of your exam!
The essay guide has example essays, with comments that help you understand how best to compose your essay in order to optimize your score.
Because a good essay should be focused to answer the exact question that is being asked on the exam, we also show you how not to move off the assigned topic as you write your essay.
Finally, it is worth pointing out that while you may think that the Accuplacer essay writing requirement is unfair or unnecessary, colleges or universities test your essay writing skills prior to your admission because writing essays is an important academic skill that you will need throughout your studies.
The written essay portion of the Accuplacer test measures the student’s ability to write. The ability to write effectively can be an indicator of academic success. The essay portion may be electronic or with pen and paper and may or may not be timed, depending on the school giving the test.
Not every school gives an essay test with the Accuplacer, as this portion of the test is optional. In this portion of the test, the student is given a topic and asked to take a position on the issue. The goal of the essay is to convey a clear message through organized ideas. The student is not graded based upon their stance; rather, the student evaluated in light of whether the stance is supported through their writing.
The Accuplacer essay is graded based on five criteria:
- Focus – the extent to which the essay stays on the main subject.
- Organization – the structure of the response with an ordered sequence of supporting ideas and no extraneous information.
- Development and Support – after the main idea is stated, the supporting ideas must be developed clearly and presented with necessary details.
- Sentence structure – the use of creative writing beyond basic sentences.
- Mechanical conventions – writing that has little or no errors with proper grammar and spelling.